For a long time I hated popcorn. Yeah, like completely and utterly avoided eating it. I'm so glad those days are over!
It's definitely one of my favorite snacks that can be whipped up in 5 minutes, and that's no exaggeration. Just a few ingredients and you're good to go! Sweet, crispy and good for you too. Popcorn is full of fibre and provided you're not dousing it in butter, refined sugars and other processed things you can be sure you're taking a small step in the right direction of eating (and snacking) better.
It’s a mixture of sweet and spice, which is so comforting. It’s also a light snack, perfect for evening munching if you’re in the mood, or even bagging up a portion or keeping it in your bag if you want it as a snack for later.
Why I like to use coconut sugar- First, it doesn't spike your blood sugar like other sweeteners. Second, when it melts with the heat of your pot and then coats your popcorn it leaves a hard sweet shell, resembling toffee popcorn! Delish :) However if this is hard to find you can use stevia, which will also sweeten the popcorn without raising your blood sugar level very high. Coconut sugar can be found in quite a few supermarkets nowadays and most health food shops and stevia can be found pretty much everywhere.
1/2 cup popcorn kernels
1tbp olive oil
3 tbsp coconut sugar/3/4 tbsp stevia
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- In a large pot, on a medium heat, put the olive oil and popcorn kernels
- Stir this constantly with a wooden spoon until the first couple of kernels begin to pop, this will take about 2 minutes
- Immediately put the lid on and leave it to pop until you can no longer hear any more kernels popping, but don't leave it too long as you don't want it to burn!
- When it’s done, take the lid off
- Leave it to cool for about 1-2 minutes
- NOW IT’S TIME TO WORK QUICKLY
- Pour in the coconut sugar and cinnamon, put the lid back on and shake the pot for about 30 seconds, you may need to stir it with your wooden spoon at the end
- Serve it up and you’re done!