Savoury Granola you ask? Yes, and you'll thank me once you've tried it!
It's probably clear by now that I love using oats in my cooking and baking, they're so versatile, full of nutrients, fibre, and enough energy to keep you going for a few hours, that's what makes them such a perfect breakfast food.
Thinking beyond traditional porridge, oats can be used so diversely, for example in some countries the thought of using oats in a sweet meal is completely bizarre. This recipe is perfect for those who aren't big fans of sweet breakfasts and snacks or for those who trying to curb their sugar cravings. Even if you're not either of those, I urge you to try this, it will give you a whole new dimension to breakfast! You'll be so surprised how the grain lends itself to being savoury.
This recipe is much lighter than normal granola too as there isn't the sweetener that would usually make it slightly more dense. The granola is so toasty and crispy, and the combination of the oregano and sesame seeds is heavenly! When you open the oven you'll be hit with the most incredible scent too, which makes it just even more worth it :)
- I like serving this with yoghurt, Coconut or Soya are my favourites, but feel free to use what you have
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp Dried Oregano
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric
- 1/2 tsp salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 cups Oats (I use Whole Rolled Oats)
- 1/3 cup Sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan
- Into a mixing bowl, add the oil, oregano, turmeric, salt and pepper. Stir together until well combined
- Add in the Oats and Sesame seeds and stir until they are well coated
- Place mixture on a baking tray and bake for 15 mins, give it a mix, then bake for a further 10 mins, or until slightly golden
- Leave to cool